Rossman-Hurt-Hoffman, Inc is the leading provider of professional liability insurance for lawyers in the state of Maryland. We are the exclusive state administrator of CNA Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance Programs in Maryland including Annapolis, Baltimore, Ellicott City, Delaware and Washington D.C.
RHH also insures lawyers in Pennsylvania and other states, offering the most comprehensive choice in coverage.
With Rossman-Hurt-Hoffman, you can expect highly competitive rates and a high level of customer service that comes with an agency backed by 140 years of experience.
CNA Lawyers Liability Insurance Policy Highlights
- 24/7 On-line Access from wherever you are.
- Limits of Liability: Broad choice ranging from $250,000 per claim or $500,000 aggregate minimum to a maximum of $10M/$10M. Claims expense outside limits coverage is available, subject to underwriting.
- Experienced Professionals:Lawyers malpractice claims are handled by experienced legal professionals.
- Premium Credits: Available for CNA seminar attendance.
- Deductible: This is the amount you pay towards covered loss before insurance coverage kicks in. Deductibles range from $1,000 to $100,000 on either aggregate or per-claim basis. Optional first dollar defense coverage is available, subject to underwriting.
- Broad Definition of Insured: Coverage can include the Firm, Predecessor Firm and Lawyers within the Firm (Partners, Associates, Directors, Officers and Employees). Also covers Of Counsel and/or Independent Contractors for work performed on behalf of the Firm.
- Supplementary Payments: Expanded coverage is available of up to $500 per day for loss of earnings due to trial, hearing, arbitration proceeding or mediation for a covered claim.
- Non-Practicing Extended Reporting Period: At no extra charge, coverage extends to retiring or non-practicing lawyers who have maintained continuous coverage for at least three consecutive years.
For full policy highlights, download our brochure.
Rossmann-Hurt-Hoffman is proud to be the exclusive state administrator of CNA Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance Programs in Maryland, Delaware and Washington D.C.
CNA has more than 50 years of experience insuring lawyers and legal professionals. With CNA, law firms have access to a broad portfolio of services including professional liability insurance for lawyers, malpractice insurance for attorneys, general liability, cyber liability, property, employment practices liability, and our industry-leading P&C package for small firms.
Here are a few reasons to choose RHH and CNA for Lawyers Insurance:
- CNA is the largest underwriter of lawyers malpractice insurance in the United States
- Rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best, S&P and Moody's
- Endorsed by Bar Associations throughout the United States
- Largest writer of federal and state judges professional liability in the U.S.
- Largest writer of legal aid and public defender attorneys in the U.S.
- Premium discounts available for firms that participate in Risk Management Seminars (CLE approved)
- Underwriting, Claims, and Risk Management headed by former private practitioners
- Nearly all CNA claims handlers are experienced attorneys
- If needed, CNA will appoint an experienced legal malpractice defense attorney to represent you
- 24/7 connectivity to CNA and its exclusive State Administrators via www.lawyersinsurance.com
FAQs About LPLI
What type of attorneys need malpractice insurance?
Going without insurance is not a risk we'd recommend any lawyer take. CNA reports that approximately 6% of attorneys working in the United States are likely to face an allegation of professional liability in any given year. All types of lawyers and firms of all sizes are at risk.
What does lawyers professional liability insurance cover?
A legal malpractice policy is designed to provide coverage against a broad range of claims that can arise from "wrongful acts" committed in the rendering of professional services. These policies are customized to meet the specific needs of an attorney or firm and can include endorsements for ancillary services such as:
- Notary public
- Title agency
- Trustees, executor of estate (in connection with representation of a client)
- Board of directors, officers and membership in legal professional organizations
What happens if I'm sued for something that happened prior to the start of my policy?
The most important thing to do is maintain continuous coverage. Whether or not you stay with the same carrier for the entirety of your practice, you should review with your insurance advisor all options available. Most legal malpractice policies provide coverage for "claims made and reported", which applies to claims made against the insured and reported to the insurer within the time the policy is in force.
You may also select "tail coverage" which will extend coverage beyond the initial policy year to cover claims made after that year arising from actions taken before or during the time the policy was in force; an "extended reporting period" which similarly allows you extra time to report to the insurer claims made against you while a prior policy was in force; and "prior acts" which will cover claims made against errors & omissions or services rendered prior to the date of your policy.
What determines my annual premium?
The annual premium is based on the state base rate and modified by a number of factors including:
- Deductible, higher deductible usually means lower premium
- Selected coverage and policy extensions
- Number of attorneys and length of experience
- Firm management and infrastructure
- Areas of practice and associated risk
- Past claims experience
- Risk management practices
Risk Management Tools for Lawyers
Risk control is important for lawyers in all sizes and types of practice. It is most effective if it is embraced as a business philosophy and incorporated into all stages of practice. A commitment to proactive risk control coupled with sound business practices can lessen the likelihood that a lawyer will face a claim, as well as help moderate potential losses should a lawyer be sued.
To help our clients implement good risk control practices, we offer an array of guides and aids developed by CNA, the nation’s number one provider of professional liability insurance for lawyers, to help manage the risks of legal practice.
Lawyer Liability & Malpractice Insurance Guides
- "Lawyers' Toolkit: A Guide to Managing the Attorney-Client Relationship" -includes sample engagement agreements, letters and conflict of interest waivers. These materials may assist throughout your legal representation.
- Enterprise Risk Management For Law Firms: A Discussion Paper - provides an overview of Enterprise Risk Management as a strategic function within law firms, as well as principle areas of risk to which law firms are exposed.
- "To Err is Human: Managing the Disclosure of Mistakes to Clients" - offers direction on how to swiftly take appropriate action to reduce the situation when an attorney realizes an error or mistake in the practice of law and provides important risk control procedures relevant to any practice.
- Creating a Record Retention & Destruction Policy - offers direction in developing an important risk control procedure in any practice.
- "Caution in the Cumulus: Professional and Ethical Obligations for Lawyers Using Cloud Computing in Their Practice" - offers direction on how to swiftly take appropriate action to reduce the situation when an attorney realizes an error or mistake in the practice of law and provides important risk control procedures relevant to any practice.
- "Investigating the Hidden Risks of Business Transactions Practice: A Claims Study for Lawyers"
Get Your Free Quote for Lawyers Malpractice Insurance
For general inquiries, please use this form
About RHH Insurance
Rossman-Hurt-Hoffman is a full service insurance agency based in Ellicott City, Maryland. Our representatives for lawyers liability insurance are well seasoned and highly experienced. We offer a broad range of coverage and carriers to meet any attorney's needs.
Contact an RHH representative today to learn more about our lawyers professional liability policies.
Stuart G. Hoffman, AAI, Vice President
877.891.2896 | email@example.com
Stuart leads the Rossman-Hurt-Hoffman Lawyers Professional Liability Department, and has done so for more than 18 years. RHH is the largest writer of liability and malpractice insurance for lawyers in the state of Maryland. Stuart is an Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) and licensed in Property and Casualty Insurance, as well as Life and Health Insurance.
Jeffrey J. Torrelli, CIC, Vice President
877.891.2896 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff is Vice President of Rossmann-Hurt-Hoffman. He is a Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) and licensed in Property and Casualty Insurance and Life and Health Insurance. Jeff has spent a majority of his career in insurance with RHH, serving with us for more than 12 years.