Winter is already upon us in the Mid-Atlantic but it’s not too late to prepare your home for its potentially disastrous effects. RHH Insurance wants you to enjoy a safe, warm and happy winter season.
By taking some precautions you can avoid winter related damage to your biggest investment…
Preparing Your Home’s Exterior For Winter
- Clean out gutters. Keep gutters clear of leaves and any debris that could potentially cause ice damming and water seepage into the home.
- Trim trees and branches. To prevent damage to your home or car during a storm.
- Make any necessary repairs to sidewalk, steps and railings to prevent pedestrian injuries during icy and snowy weather.
- Seal exterior cracks or holes to keep the warm air in and the cold out. This can also help your heating bill $
Preparing Your Home’s Interior For Winter
- Keep inside temperatures at 65 degrees or higher, especially if you are away from your home for an extended period of time. This will help prevent pipes from freezing.
- Consider purchasing a generator for power outages during winter storms.
- Keep the home fires safely burning. Remove any combustible objects from its vicinity.
- Call in the professionals for annual plumbing and heating check ups before the bad weather starts.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly.
Lastly, give your homeowners insurance a check-up for 2017. Contact your insurance specialist if you have made any recent home or life changes to make any necessary adjustments to your policies.